Prepaid Electric Service Terms
Prepaid Electric Service is a voluntary “pay as you go” plan that is offered by Johnson County REMC. This plan puts the member in control of their electric account and there are no advance deposits, no monthly bill surprises, and no late payment charges.
For members electing to go on prepaid service, the rules are outlined in this document and supersede the standard rules of service that would otherwise apply.
- No security deposit is required.
- There are no late payment charges.
- The member can easily monitor daily usage and costs.
- Account balances are updated daily which eliminate any large monthly billing surprises.
- A member can make payments at their own convenience.
Starting Prepaid Service
- A member can start a prepaid account by establishing an account credit of $50.00 with cash, money order, and credit or debit card.
- An existing member would need to pay any balance owed including any recent usage that has not been billed. An existing/previous member may make a payment arrangement for usage used up to the account being placed on prepaid. Pay arrangements are done for balances of $500.00 or less and does not include any additional fees. Any amount above the $500.00 would need to be paid by cash, money order, and credit or debit card.
When a payment is made to the prepaid account, 30% of the payment will be applied to the payment arrangement. When the payment arrangement is paid in full then 100% of the payment will go to the credit balance of the prepaid account.
- A previous deposit paid will be applied towards any unpaid balance. Any additional credit will be applied toward the prepaid account. No refund checks will be issued on a security deposit.
- It is the members’ responsibility to keep Johnson County REMC informed of any changes to your phone number or email address.
- Any voice, data, or text messaging costs incurred will be the responsibility of the member.
Once Prepaid Service Starts
- Electricity usage (kWh), facility charge, and security light charges will be billed on a daily basis. In the event that a daily meter reading is not available for billing, an estimated meter reading will be used and will be trued-up in a subsequent billing. Fixed charges (facility charge, security light, etc.) are billable if the electric service is interrupted.
- Any miscellaneous credits will be applied when the account goes through the monthly billing.
- A member is responsible for sustaining a credit balance to maintain service. Account inquiries may be made by using the Smart Hub App or calling (317)736-6174.
Smart Hub – Our online customer management tool available at www.jcremc.com. For additional convenience the Smart Hub App may be downloaded for any Android or Apple device.
Phone – Call (317)736-6174 24/7 to make a payment.
Kiosk – Located at Johnson County REMC, 750 International Dr., Franklin. IN 46131. For your convenience, the kiosk is available 24/7. Payment options available include cash, electronic check, and credit or debit card.
Drop Box – Located next to the kiosk. Payments made after 7:30 a.m. will be posted the following business day.
Office Payments – Make your payment at Johnson County REMC by cash, check, money order, and credit or debit card. Our office hours are 7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday.
Mail Payments – Mail your payment to P.O. Box 309, Franklin, IN 46131. Payments are posted daily.
If a payment to Johnson County REMC by any prepaid customer is returned for nonsufficient funds, or if such payment is not honored, an additional $30.00 nonsufficient funds charge will be added to the prepaid account. If the resulting amount owed to Johnson County REMC for electricity usage, facility charges, security light charges, and nonsufficient fund charges, is greater than the credit remaining on the member’s prepaid account, then the service will be subject to disconnection on the following business day.
Disconnection of Service
- If an account no longer carries a credit balance it will be disconnected. The account will be disconnected 7 days a week 365 days a year.
- If an account is disconnected it may be reconnected when a credit balance is on the account. Payment needs to be made with cash, money order, credit or debit card.
- If an account is disconnected the fixed charges (facility charge, security light, etc.) will continue to be billed for up to 7 days or until the member requests to permanently disconnect the account.
- To reconnect an account that has been closed, call the office during normal business hours of 7:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. and speak to a Service Order Clerk.
- There are no payment extensions, budget billing, or EZ Power Pay offered on a prepaid account.
- A member electing to go off prepaid may be subject to a deposit based on previous credit.
- Failure to receive notifications does not exempt you from disconnection for nonpayment.
Medical and/or Health Conditions
- Inclement weather conditions or temperatures will not postpone disconnection of electric service.
- Prepaid Billing accounts are not eligible for our life support program. Customers on Prepaid Billing who request our life support program will be moved to the Residential Seasonal Rate and may be subject to a deposit based on previous credit.
- A member electing prepaid service remains subject to all the Johnson County REMC bylaws, rules and regulations, and policies, except where the prepaid electric service terms supersede the standard rules that would otherwise apply.
- The prepaid electric service terms are subject to modification at the discretion of the Johnson County REMC board of directors. An appropriate notification will be communicated.